Round 3 – NPL 2 NSW Women Review

25 March , 2019 By Football NSW

It might not have rained, but there was a deluge of goals in Round 3 of the National Premier Leagues 2 Women’s competition. All six contests brought action, goals and exciting conclusions all wrapped in another fantastic weekend of action. Let’s get onto the review!

Match of the Round: Central Coast Mariners 2 defeat SD Raiders 1

Central Coast Mariners were made to work hard in draining conditions, taking the spoils in a 2-1 victory against the SD Raiders FC side at Pluim Park.

New signing Danielle Wise continued to endear herself to the yellow-and-navy faithful, curling home in the opening minute before doubling the dose in the second half. The Mariners remained resolute to pick up their second victory of the season in heated conditions at home.

SD Raiders took time to warm up but last year’s semi-finalists showed they can match the Mariners with their second half effort that included a well struck free-kick from Kristi Pavlicevic in the 85th that inspired them to almost snatch a point save for a series of saves from Mariners keeper Rihannon Hines.

Both teams strode onto Pluim Park in humid conditions ready to get amongst it. Mariners turmed up the temperature after the first 60 seconds. Danielle Wise chased a lost cause, nicked the ball off Kirilee Cook, before she curled home perfectly at the second attempt. 1-nil Mariners.

Mariners continued to find joy on the right side. Kaitlin Murphy whipped in a series of dangerous crosses in the first half which troubled the SD Raiders defense. Her best effort came from a solo run down the channel which flashed wide.

Once SD Raiders got their bearings, the visitors worked their way into the contest. Tara Baudana was their most dangerous threat. The young striker had an effort chalked off on the half hour, as she worked wonderful combinations with Kate Mateffy and Sarah Mandile.

Late in the half, both sides had a chance to find the back of the net. First a heavy touch from a Mariners defender opened up space for Sarah Mandile, the striker couldn’t direct her chance on target. For Mariners, Gabrielle Blanch ran onto a cushioned ball but couldn’t lift her effort.

The sides headed into the break with Wise’s first minute strike the only thing separating the two sides that played out three thrilling contests last season, still had it all to play for in the second half.

Mirroring their first half start, Mariners were on the front foot again. Jade McAtameney lined up a free-kick on the right that sailed over. Her next involvement produced the Mariners second goal of the afternoon.

Free in midfield, Mcatamney spied the run of Wise, as she angled a ball over the SD Raiders defense right into the path of the striker. Wise rapidly took up the space, getting one-on-one with SD Raiders keeper Natasha Pentecost, before slotting home, 2-nil Mariners.

Despite being down a pair of goals, SD Raiders continued to search for a way to unpick a stubborn Mariners defense. Mandile and substitute Rebecca Dennis had prime opportunities when they broke free in the box but both failed to trouble Mariners keeper Hines.

Set pieces looked the best avenue for SD Raiders to get back into the contest. A goalmouth scramble in the 68th minute was desparately swept away by the Mariners defense then a free-kick did bring them back into the contest.

Kristi Pavlicevic had the free-kick lined up metres inside the halfway line, the attacker took a deep breath before she lofted a precise lob that flew over the head of Hines, into the net to claw it back to 2-1, game on.

Sensing the chance to steal a point, SD Raiders piled on the pressure in the final with Dennis having two huge chances to equalise. She snatched at the first chance which fell kindly to Hines then in the dying embers of the game forced the keeper into a remarkable save to secure the points for Mariners.

Afterwards Mariners coach Dan Barrett was relieved that a lax second half didn’t cost his side all three points as they create a nice platform to build this season.

“It was a contest for sure. Happy to get the points, but we can be much better than what we showed today. We started well then after the drink’s break, tried to force things,” said Barrett.

“Positive is, we banked the points against a strong SD Raiders side. Credit to them, if not for a crucial save right at the end, it could’ve been a draw. We go back to training now, work on things and get ready for Nepean FC.” he finished.

For the SD Raiders coach, he was pleased with their effort despite not taking the points today and have plenty to build off for next week.

“It was very frustrating. When we reflect on it, we’ll see that we could’ve had a few goals but for some better judgement and luck. Although, I was proud of the girls – they stuck to the job and game-plan – and it almost worked,”

“I was happy with the girl’s resilience after the opening goal. We may not have taken anything away from the game but the team will have some confidence and knowledge, we can match it with these sides.” he finished.

Match Stats

Sunday 24 March 2018

Pluim Park

Referee: Mark Roberts

Assistant Referees: Jeff Costa & Isaac Kastelan

Central Coast Mariners 2 (Wise ‘1, ‘50)

SD Raiders 1 (Pavlicevic ‘85)

Central Coast Mariners: 1. HINES Rihannon, 2. BLANCH Gabrielle, 4. SNAPE Iona, 5. OLIVEIRA Katie, 8. WISE Danielle, 9. EYERS Haylie (35. SHORROCKS ‘80), 10. MCATAMNEY Jade (27. AUDDINO ‘88), 11. SHORTER Elizabeth, 12. MURPHY Kaitlin, 16. SQUIRES Kirby, 23. DRYSDALE Jordan (22. COLLINS ‘59)

Subs not used: 21. TUCKER Mikala 50. MAH Laura

Yellow cards: nil

Red cards: nil

SD Raiders: 1. PENTECOST Natasha, 3. SHERMAN Morgan, 5. DAVEY Hannah-Rose, 9. BAUDANA Tara (6. DENNIS ‘52), 10. McGRATH Christina, 11. COOK Kirilee (12. HANKIN ‘73), 13. MATEFFY Kate (32. KROPE ‘55), 14. CASSAR Rachel (7. PARNELL ‘83), 15. PAVLICEVIC Kristi, 16. MANDILE Sarah (2. MUSSETT ‘75), 30. VOUSDEN Alexandara

Yellow cards: nil

Red cards: nil

Western NSW Mariners 1 defeated by Sutherland Shire FA 2

Sutherland Shire FA picked up their second win of the new season, but it wasn’t without warning, as they snuck home 2-1 against a gallant Western NSW Mariners side today at Marjorie Jackson Field.

In a tight first half, Western NSW Mariners took a shock lead through Brydie Comiskey. The attacker found the back of the net with a wonderful curler into the bottom corner as the Mariners held their single goal lead into the break.

Sutherland picked themselves up after the break, firing home twice through Jordan Baker and Maddison Farmer to wrest back the lead. Shire FA Coach Dragan Blazevic was happy with the comeback as the FA side continue their strong return to NPL2 Womens football.

Marconi Stallions FC 10 defeated Inter Lions FC 2

The Stallions picked up their first win of 2019 in style, defeating Inter Lions 10-2 in a goal fest at Marconi Stadium this afternoon.

Hat-tricks were the order of the afternoon, as Ceyda Cambaz and Jasmin Courtenay both notched triples to kickstart their seasons. The Stallions were in firm control, leading 4-1 at the break. Michelle Dalbon and Demelza Howard also made it on the scoresheet.

The home sides appetite for scoring didn’t abate in the second half, Georgia Usherwood got herself a brace while the two main scorers completed their hat-tricks in the Stallions stampede. For Inter Lions, Kaitlyn Harms scored in each half to give them some joy on a long afternoon.

APIA Leichhardt Tigers 14 defeated Southern Branch FC 1

APIA Leichhardt Tigers took out their frustrations on a hapless Southern Branch FC, as they went on a scoring blitz, defeating the Nowra outfit 14-1 at Lambert Park this afternoon.

It was about scoring in bunches today. Georgia Bridges and Cassidy Chidgey both found the back of the net five times. Chidgey returns to the fine form she was in before her injury late in 2018 and Bridges puts her debut loss behind her with some ruthless finishing.

The other name to repeat on the scoreboard was Ash Palombi. The striker scored four herself as the APIA scoreboard attendant must have got RSI from repeated changes to the screen. Overall, it was a “great response from last week,” said APIA coach Matt Constantini. “The girls scored some quality goals with fantastic build up.” he concluded. APIA pick up a vital three points before they host SD Raiders next weekend.

For Southern Branch FC, it will be another long, fruitless trip home. They did manage to move themselves off zero with Meredith Cheyne picking up a consolation goal as they remain rooted to the bottom of the NPL2 Women’s ladder.

Gladesville Ravens 1 defeated Nepean FC 0

In the words of Maxwell Smart: Nepean FC missed it by that much, as they fell 1-nil to Gladesville Ravens, as the Ravens remain unbeaten at Christie Park.

The battle between two contenders for the season remained a chess match across the duration, as neither side could find an opening. Nepean FC did a fine job in shutting down Ravens striker Emily Diaz while the visitors couldn’t find a way beyond Ravens custodian Eri Arikawa.

As the digital scoreboard ticked into the 90th minute, Gladesville frustrated with being unable to break down Nepean FC, finally picked the lock. Annalise Schiraldi fired home from outside the box with the last kick of the game to make it three from three for a soaring Ravens outfit.

It was a sickener for Alan Tasses. The Nepean FC coach left Christie Park “not only gutted for losing with the last kick of the game, but also proud of the effort from all my players.” he said. The coach singled out both Janie Hansen and Cassandra Wheeler for their performance alongside consistent force Desiree Vassallo at the back.

UNSW FC vs St George FC

UNSW FC will lament three points that got away. The students could only salvage a 3-3 draw against St George FC tonight in the late kick-off down at Seymour Shaw.

The Students were in firm control in the opening half hour, Gabrielle Burns and Darcy Read had them in firm control. St George battled back hard though, with an own goal and Emily Upstone’s first of the season to be level 2-2 at the break.

Much of the second half was a see-saw battle as UNSW FC captain Hayley Marshall found the students third goal while Marissa Nicopoulos gained the Saints their first point of the season with her second half strike.

Afterwards UNSW FC coach Alex Nolan lamented “some individual errors that cost us tonight.” He added that “they can’t continue to put themselves in these situations and need to kill off contests.” especially if they want to be in the top half of the ladder.

By Justin Davies (JustDavies90)

Source FNSW website