Round 18 – National Premier Leagues 2 Womens Review

For ages it seemed like the National Premier Leagues 2 Womens table was set; now everything has been turned upside down in a matter of a week, with the weekend’s results opening up the race for a final dash to the 2018 finals

Let’s get into the review.


Match of the Round: SD Raiders 1 defeated by Sydney Olympic FC 4

A donut-inspired performance has helped Sydney Olympic FC make it 18 undefeated as the Premiers knocked four past a flat SD Raiders side, in a 4-1 win this afternoon at Ernie Smith Reserve.

Homer Simpson once remarked – “donuts is there anything they can’t do?” well the sugary treat helped inspire Sydney Olympic as a brace each to Lieke De Bever and Madelaine Costanzo got them their reward. Another three points continued to move Sydney Olympic FC to their goal of promotion to National Premier League Womens 1.

SD Raiders might have felt the remarkable distance they have covered in recent weeks as they turned in a flat performance that frustrated coach Matt Constantini. Their lone goal came from mid-season signing Kasia Wojtowicz as the Raiders need to regroup before the big challenges in the finals.

In a contest between two of NPL2 womens most attacking side. It wasn’t surprising that the first chance produced a goal. Last year’s top scorer Madelaine Costanzo strode through, finished well in the sixth minute to kick the contest off in style.

Olympic continued to press – Lieke De Bever tried an optimistic shot from deep then her strike partner Danielle Calvi snuck behind the Raiders defense, but only found the side netting.

SD Raiders have shown character across the season with their performances and struck back in the 14th minute. A free-kick near halfway was lifted into the box as Kasia Wojtowics pounced on the loose ball to fire home, making it 1-1.

Logan Garard buzzed around the midfield for the home side. On several occasions she cut through the Olympic FC defense, but her final touch deserted her as the Raiders probed for a second goal with Elizabeth O’Reilly almost flicked one home before the half hour mark.

The visitors showed their superior edge in later stages of the first half. Costanzo was already celebrating her header from a fine De Bever cross as it rapped the post then Calvi thrashed an effort against that same left post.

Olympic weren’t kept waiting for their second goal longer though. A diagonal ball cut through the heart of the SD Raiders defense, which allowed De Bever to finish smartly and restore Olympic’s lead. 2-1 at half-time.

The visitors made it three not long into the second half. Calvi nicked the ball off a defender then cushioned the ball perfectly for De Bever to reunite with the post, although this one bounced inside for a 3-1 Olympic lead.

From there it was all Olympic FC. Kristy Kunovski sprung free but rolled her effort softly to the keeper. The visitors once again cut through in the 63rd minute with a sequence of one touch passes that ended with Costanzo’s brace, 4-1 and three points for Olympic.

There was a feel of after the Lord Mayor’s show late from SD Raiders. The contest was done but, Yasemin Genc created two fantastic opportunities then O’Reilly tried to find a late consolation goal but Olympic held firm to make it eighteen unbeaten.

Following the victory Olympic FC coach George Beltsos delighted in another three points and the sugary reward that helped prompt it.

“I thought in the first half we edged them. I was upset that we conceded the goal, made some adjustments at half-time and got some goals in the second half,”

“Credit to SD Raiders. They are a tough side, probably one of the best we’ve come up against so they’ll cause problems against any team in the finals,”

“We’re still not at our best. There is plenty of improvement left in us, and football is a funny game. You can’t keep winning, so every one might bring us closer to a loss but we’ll see how it goes.” finished Beltsos.

For Matt Constantini on the SD Raiders bench, he was disappointed in a flat performance but remained upbeat about their chances down the road against Olympic FC.

“To turn up like that today was disappointing. We had a few good moments, and the effort was definitely there. They caught us on an off day and I don’t think it will happen again for the rest of the season,”

“For our first year in NPL2, I am happy with our return. We’ve played some good football and now, hopefully get some of our injured people back for the rest of the season.” finished Constantini.


Sunday 8 July 2018 – Ernie Smith Reserve, Moorebank

Referee: S. Hilton

Assistant Referees: R. Haddad & J. Haddad

SD Raiders 1 (Wojtowicz ‘ )

Sydney Olympic FC 4 (De Bever ‘ , ‘ , Costanzo ‘ ,

SD Raiders: 4. GENC Yasemin, 6. SHERMAN Morgan (32. KROPE ‘83), 7. FALLAH Jessica (20. DENNIS ‘74), 9. GARARD Logan, 10. PACE Gabriela, 11. WOJTOWICZ Kasia, 12. BUTLER Kathleen, 16. DAVEY Hannah-Rose (45. COSCIA ‘54), 18. SKINNER Tamara (14. HAMILTON ‘54), 29. O’REILLY Elizabeth, 99. HILL Regan

Subs not used: 19. GRIMBILOS Stephanie

Yellow cards: Sherman

Red cards: nil

Sydney Olympic FC: 2. TAYLOR Eloise, 3. MIRKOVIC Madeleine, 4. BARHAM Diedre, 6. HALASKA Kate, 7. CALVI Danielle (15. TSOUPIS ‘82), 9. COSTANZO Madelaine (43. DOWSE ‘82), 10. DE BEVER Lieke (12. CHEN ‘85), 11. ROHRER Kristy, 17. KHOURY Hannah Lea (16. JOHNSON ‘85), 18. KUNOVSKI Kristy, 20. HORAFIOS Amanda

Yellow cards: Costanzo and Mirkovic

Red cards: nil

APIA Leichhardt Tigers 3 defeated Inter Lions 1

The APIA Leichhardt Tigers had to dig deep but were able to receive some much-needed relief, in a 3-1 victory against a downbeat Inter Lions side on an important afternoon at Concord Oval.

Missing seven of their regular starters, the Tigers knew it was going to be a tough contest. Olivia Cicco and Christina Ferreyra gave them the perfect start, with a 2-nil half-time lead. Debutant Hannah Macri scored the third after the break to give them a buffer.

Inter Lions made sure it wasn’t all their own way, hitting back through Sarah Mandile with 20 minutes to play, but APIA were able to see out the rest of the contest that will soothe APIA coach Matteo Maiorana after a rough couple of weeks and results.

Maiorana was also able to hand debuts to two talents coming through the grade in Moya Denford and Alina Stojcevski both from the 17s that were able to mark those debuts with three points that should confirm their finals appearance, which was their aim at the start of the season.

Southern Branch FC 0 defeated by Western NSW Mariners FC 1

In a contest between two of the furthest apart sides in National Premier Leagues 2 Womens, it was decided by the slimmest margins, Western NSW Mariners triumphed 1-nil today in Nowra.

Western NSW Mariners put their rough patch behind them with three big points. Poorsha Mcphillamy fired home the only goal of the contest in the first 45 minutes, after Southern Branch FC failed to clear a corner properly.

The rest of the game was played at a high tempo between the two teams on a fine afternoon for football down the south coast. Both keepers were called upon on regular intervals and the scoreline could’ve inflated if the sides finished their chances.

Marconi Stallions 5 defeated St George FC 2

Marconi Stallions moved back into the comfort of 5th position, putting a tough St George FC to the sword this afternoon, to the tune of 5-2 at Marconi Stadium.

The hosts looked much like their usual selves as they confidently strode out to a 2-1 half-time lead. Summar Richardson with the opener before captain Hannah Voloder doubled the delight before the Saints showed their spirit clawing one back.

In the second half, it was one-way traffic. It was a day for defenders in the south west. Mia Connors registered her maiden goal of the season while Jess Beale went to double digits for the season and Angelina Parkes rounded out a solid hitout for the Stallions in their chase for finals football.

UNSW FC 8 defeated Gladesville Ravens 1

Through the course of the season there are results you see coming, then some you don’t. This definitely was the latter.

UNSW FC took out all their recent frustration out on Gladesville Ravens, thrashing them 8-1, tonight at Valentine Sports Park.

The sheer joy that emanated from UNSW FC coach, Renato Jelen afterwards was matched by the enthusiasm from his side across the 90 minutes. Amy Altman, who has been a standout in recent weeks for the students and netted a hat-trick, taking her season tally to eight.

Rio Darlaston got herself a brace while Eleni Tsintominas, Sarah Blaydon and Georgina Bannister rounded out the cathartic afternoon for the home side. Jelen’s side stuck to their gameplan and picked up three priceless points and a huge scalp of a finals contender.

For Gladesville, after the high of the late, late show the last few weeks they surrendered fifth spot back to Marconi Stallions, as star striker Emily Diaz continued to add to her solid goal return this season with their sole consolation.

Nepean FC 1 defeated Central Coast Mariners 0

The fight for fifth has turned into a slugfest, as Nepean FC edged out Central Coast Mariners, 1-nil to keep their chances of finals football alive on a cold Cook Park evening.

Last season Nepean FC were known to take a few big scalps, and this season, while they have had some issues they added another to their list – beating second place Central Coast Mariners, thanks to a superb strike from Stefanie Trovato.

Blunting a dangerous attack like Central Coast isn’t an easy task, the yellow and navy have weapons across the park, so Nepean FC needed some heroic performances from Narmin Malas between the sticks and again, Desiree Vassallo was a rock in defense as an overjoyed Alan Tasses soaked up a priceless win with his team.

For the Mariners, tonight was the first time the rampaging team was kept scoreless this season. Their loss has also opened up the race for second spot between them and SD Raiders coming into the final month.

Source FNSW - website By Justin Davies