PS4 NPL NSW Men's 2 Round 22 Review

The final round of the PS4 NPL NSW Men’s 2 competition concluded with Spirit FC finishing eight points clear as they claimed the Premiership, with Hakoah Sydney City East, Northern Tigers, Central Coast and Bankstown City rounding out the five, while the wooden spoon heads to Cook Park and the home of Mounties Wanderers.

Sydney University finish bottom of the Club Championship, in the unfortunate relegation position.


Match Of The Round

Fraser Park v Central Coast

The day could hardly have gone better for Fraser Park’s Paulo Oliviera, the longstanding Fraser Park stalwart retiring from playing after a tremendous fifteen year career at the club. A 5-2 win over finals bound Central Coast, the first goal and a double to his brother, Kevin, made it a family affair that could not have been scripted better.

It was a fine occasion too, with Oliviera afforded a welcome onto the field by his team mates at the start of the game, with the captaincy also his, once more, for the day. And while the finals may have been out of touch, it was clear from the efforts put in by the Fraser team, that they wanted to send Oliviera out a winner.

After an even opening twenty minutes or so, there was certainly no certainty that that would be the case. The Coast were lively, with Brain Jamba looking dangerous down the right and Alexander Arbelo and Trent Buhagiar combining well on occasions, which kept the Fraser Park defence on notice.

For their part, Paulo Oliviera and Hussein Akil were also keeping the Coast defence busy. Akil, leading the Golden Boot competition, was eager to increase his lead while for Oliviera, a goal in his final appearance, would be the icing on the cake,

And that goal looked to have arrived midway through the first half. Akil swept down the right hand side, and his cross found Oliviera, all alone. A goal seemed certain but the shot was well saved by Blake Tuxford, leaving Oliviera to yell in frustration.

That disappointment was to last only a minute. In the next action, Oliviera was brought down by Jamba inside the area, and the referee showed little hesitation in awarding a spot kick. Akil, the regular penalty taker, was magnaminous in allowing Oliviera to take the opportunity. And there was to be no mistake. Oliviera slammed the penalty home to put Fraser Park 1-0 up.

As if that wasn’t enough, within two minutes, the lead was doubled. This time it was Kevin Oliviera who found the back of the net, driving home from the edge of the area. It was celebrations all round, and if Central Coast needed any evidence of the task ahead, it was there for all to see.

They certainly tried, Matthew Crowell having accuracy but not power with a direct freekick, but it was Fraser Park, with the wind in their sails, coming closest. An Adem Kir freekick was headed goalwards by Pat Cappuccio, but hit the woodwork. Akil turned well but shot over.

Then, a lapse in concentration by Fraser Park provided Central Coast the opportunity to claw one back. A Buhagiar cross was charged down, but Mark McManus collected the rebound to cross over for a second chance. Nicely aware, and unmarked was Joel Hardwick, who had the simple task to slot away.

That was a crucial goal for Central Coast, minutes before half time. A perfect time to score but then Akil tried a shot with two minutes to go, the unfortunate Daniel McFarlane had no chance to avoid the piledriver, the ball striking the young player head height. McFarlane left the field for attention, but was unable to resume.

Lachlan Wales came on for the start of the second half, for McFarlane, but it seemed more of the same. Stefan Jovanovic skipped through the defence with apparent ease, but his cross was cleared, however it took just three further minutes before Fraser Park restored the two goal advantage.

And this time Akil got the goal he so dearly wanted. A far post header from a Cappuccio cross put Fraser Park 3-1 ahead.

But again, that lead was reduced just before the hour as the goals kept flowing. Liam O’Dell got on the end of a freekick floated into the area and it was back to 3-2. It was celebrated with little fanfare surprisingly, even the Coast perhaps thinking it wasn’t meant to be their day.

And that was to be the closest they would get. Akil was shortly brought down in the box by Crowell, who collected a card for his troubles but also had to leave the field, retired hurt. This time Akil claimed the ball but amazingly, his shot was judged well by Tuxford, who saved the penalty with a fine dive.

Just seven minutes later, it did become 4-2. Nikola Todoroski, on for Paulo Oliviera, being substituted as he took the applause of the crowd, scored within five minutes of coming on.

And in the final moments it became five for Fraser Park. Another good run by Akil, his shot parried by Tuxford but only as far as Kevin Oliviera. And how fitting that on this day, it was an Oliviera who should knock in the final goal.

Fraser Park 5 (Paulo Oliviera 25 pen, Kevin Oliviera 28’, 90’, Hussein Akil 50’, Nikola Todoroski 70’) v Central Coast 2 (Joel Hardwick 41’, Liam O’Dell 58’)

Sunday 23 August 2015

at Fraser Park, Sydenham

Referee: Scott Edeling

Assts: Lance Greenshields and Daniel Stack

Fraser Park: 1. Wayne Estavao 3. Davide Talone 5. Nicholas Dimitropoulos 7. Kevin Oliviera 8. Hussein Akil 10. Paulo Oliviera (c) (17. Nikola Todoroski 65’) 11. Stefan Jovanovic 12. Adem Kir (4. Alex Veljanovski 75’) 13. Pat Cappuccio 18. Aleksander Todoroski 20. Daisan Kim (16. Marko Micevski 80’).

Subs not used: 40. Ben Needham 15. Rocci Gabey

Yellow Cards: Daisan Kim, Adem Kir.

Coach: Mile Todoroski

Central Coast: 1. Blake Tuxford 2. Liam O’Dell 4. Nathan Verity 5. Brian Jamba 6. Matthew Crowell (28. Chris Hurley 65’) 8. Joel Hardwick 10. Alexander Arbelo (9. Adam Woodbine 72’) 11. Louis Bozanic 12. Trent Buhagiar 16. Daniel McFarlane (17. Lachlan Wales 46’) 21. Mark McManus.    

Subs not used: 20. Beyhan Irmako 31. Tom Dolphin

Yellow cards: Matthew Crowell, Nathan Verity

Coach: Peter Preston


Sydney University v St George

By the time this game kicked off on Saturday, Sydney University’s fate was sealed. A loss to St George in the Under 20s meant that last spot on the club championship was confirmed, after a gallant effort over the past few weeks to avoid the dreaded relegation spot. Having won the Under 18s earlier in the morning, they had set up the occasion for some tense football in the evening but after the Saints claimed a 3-0 win in the Under 20s, it was all over bar the shouting.

But despite this, Sydney University still showed plenty of drive in this fixture, keen to avoid the wooden spoon if nothing else, and they may well have come closer to a win had it not been for the goalkeeping heroics of St George’s Aaron Liddell. Liddell pulled off numerous saves to keep the Saints goal intact, and protected their lead which came courtesy of a Michael Yarnold direct free kick ten minutes before half time.

A red card to the Saints’ Joseph D’elia with twenty minutes to go gave Uni some further impetus but it looked like St George would survive, even with ten men. But Peter Crevani, who came close on a number of occasions, finally drilled home in time added on.

Sydney University 1 (Peter Crevani 90 +1’) v St George 1 (Michael Yarnold 35’)

Sydney University: 1. Marko Bozic (21. Patrick Ferrara) 4. Gyubeom Kim 8. Khushaba Khushaba 10. Santiago Rodriguez (7. Brian Caulker) 13. Alexander Sopina 14. Daniel Mifsud 16. Adrian Porcu 17. Stefan de Jesus 32. Tayfun Buyukkopru 43. Marton Vass 44. Peter Crevani.

Subs not used: 24. Jacob Blundell 28. Claudio Rosano

St George: 1. Aaron Liddell 3. Emmanuel Elali 5. Daniell Zeleny 6. Ali Nasreddine 10. Michael Yarnold (20. Lenox Tweneboa 75’) 11. Wassim Hijazi 15. Peter Pelakanos 16. Joseph D’elia 18. Anthony Abi-Arrage 19. Stevan Ilic (7. Matt Sadler 18’, rep by 30. David Ilic 55’) 27. Jacob Sullivan.  

Subs not used: 17. David Hamilton 38. Thomas Menton

Red Card: Joseph D’Elia 72’


Northern Tigers v Macarthur Rams

Northern Tigers made absolutely sure of third spot with a comfortable 2-0 win over Macarthur Rams. Any possible nerves would have dissipated within the first few minutes when Lucas Dawson scored just seven minutes in.

A second before the break, by Shervin Adeli, gave the Tigers a sense of comfort, that in the end, they didn’t really need.

Northern Tigers 2 (Lucas Dawson 7’, Shervin Adeli 35’) v Macarthur Rams 0

Northern Tigers: 1. Matt Nemes 3. Lucas Dawson 4. Michael Rolston (2. Samuel Ryder) 6. Paul Davies 7. Matthew West (17. Braden Cheng) 9. Liam McConaghy 10. Shervin Adeli (14. Julian Lim) 12. Russell Farrell 13. Jamie Craig 16. Steven Baveas 18. Tai Smith.

Subs not used: 21. Harrison Devenish-Meares 19. Daniel Stuart

Macarthur Rams: 1. Chris Becerra 2. Craig Cooley 8. Ryan Marchant 9. Shannon Hankin 12. David McMurray 13. Daniel Carrozza 14. Mark Symington (23. Luke Beezem) 15. Joel Craig 16. Daniel Ramirez 19. Daniel Willoughby (6. Shaun Irwin) 22. Daniel Nelson.

Subs not used: 20. Corey Finch 17. Asmir Kadric


Mounties Wanderers v Spirit FC

Spirit FC sent a warning to the rest of the competition, if one was needed, that even though the title may be won, the job is not yet complete.

A four goal trouncing of Mounties Wanderers was the perfect send off to Spirit’s Premiership win as they now look to the Championship series, starting next week. They have the week off of course, but this 4-0 victory will have sides competing next week, still looking over their shoulder.

A double to Brad Gibson, and one each to Gosue Sama and Jacob Harris sent Spirit on their way to the three points, with the newly-crowned Premiers finishing a massive eight points clear.

Mounties Wanderers 0 v Spirit FC 4 (Bradley Gibson 2, Jacob Harris, Gosue Sama)

Mounties Wanderers: 30. Ali Akbal 3. Neftali Gonzalez 6. Aleksander Tomic 15. Shane Webb 16. Tiano Boutoubia 20. Reid Taylor (14. Dragan Savic) 26. Jacob Carluccio (11. Daine Merrin) 27. Gongjun Lee 28. Leon Faria (24. Mitchell King) 29. Jake Ingle 32. James Letta.

Subs not used: 1. James Stojcevski 18. Rory McGeown

Spirit FC: 1. Murray Nelson 2. Daniel Cunningham 3. Henry Wells (12. Brad Gibson) 4. Nick Trimble 5. Andrew Robertson 6. Ross Kethel 7. Jacob Harris 9. Tim Simpson (10. Ossama Zaki) 13. Lord Darkoh 19. Tom Lovell 22. Gosue Sama (20. Michael Streeter).

Subs not used: 41. David Lowery 8. Grant Cornwell


Mount Druitt Town Rangers v Bankstown Berries

Six goals were shared at Popondetta Park as the Rangers and Berries fought out a 3-3 draw.

Former Golden Boot winner Dimitri Zakilas notched a double with Nicholas Paras also getting on the scoresheet once more for the Berries.

Osadolor Edosomwan, Luke Clifford and Kojiro Hori netted for Rangers, who finished their final three games of the season undefeated.

Mount Druitt Town Rangers 3 (Osadolor Edosomwan, Luke Clifford, Kojiro Hori) v Bankstown Berries 3 (Dimitri Zakilas 2, Nicholas Paras)


Hakoah Sydney City East v Bankstown City

Bankstown City sent Hakoah Sydney City East tumbling to their first defeat in ten games with a 3-1 victory at Hensley Field, a nice portent of things to come perhaps, for the Lions.

All goals came in the second period with Alvaro Malmierca, Michael Beauchamp and Chris Gomez, hitting double figures for the season, sending the Lions on to victory while Paul Orgad earned Hakoah’s sole goal in reply.

Hakoah Sydney City East 1 (Paul Orgad) v Bankstown City 3 (Alvaro Malmierca, Michael Beauchamp, Chris Gomez)

Source FNSW Website - by Peter Rowney, PS4 National Premier Leagues NSW Men's 2 Reporter