NSW Super League Round 11 Review

posted by Artie on May 31, 2010

In a round in which the weather again played havoc, Central Coast lifted themselves off the bottom of the table with a strong 2-1 win over finals contenders Sydney University. The performance suggesting that further wins may not be too far away. Parramatta Eagles remain top at the half way point, a position they have been since round one while Spirit’s return to form continued with their 2-0 win over St George. The biggest score of the round went to Macarthur Rams who scored five against FC Bossy in a win which lifts them into the top half of the table. Match of the Week Central Coast Lightning v Sydney University It might have meant a 200km round trip for a home game but Central Coast won’t mind one iota after taking the three points against Sydney University in a well deserved 2-1 victory at Seymour Shaw Park, Miranda on Saturday night. With Pluim Park again being washed out, for the second week in a row, the match was moved to the southern Sydney suburb, taking advantage of the Tiger Turf pitch. Despite the travel, and the loss of home ground advantage, Central Coast were certainly up for this game and dominated early on. Uni seemed to take a while to get going in a first half where they turned over possession too carelessly, often gifting the ball direct to the Coast. The first chance of the night fell to the Lightning with Scott McGinley forcing a save from Jonathan Faerber while McGinley was also wide with a good chance soon after. The pressure from the Coast told midway through the first half when a cross from the right was not held by Faerber resulting in Brady Smith getting the final touch to knock the ball over the line. In truth, it was no more than Central Coast deserved. Brady Smith and Matt Mitchell worked hard up front and they were unfortunate not to double their lead before the break. Mitchell was just over with a header and Smith was wide with another good chance. The best chance for Uni fell to Joseph Savor. As Uni pressed during the final ten minutes of the half, Savor hammered a low, hard shot just wide. It was a great opportunity to draw level and missed by only centimetres. John Caruana must have given his side a blast at half time as Uni raised their game immediately after the break. It took only three minutes for them to draw level. A drive from Clive Delaney, from distance, just snuck in under the bar, giving Josh Barrett no chance whatsoever. With the equaliser now under their belts, Uni gained the upper hand, if only for a short while. A good chance, particularly, came for Martin Havern but his snapshot just missed. But it was the Coast who came closest to retaking their lead. With the Uni keeper again under pressure, the Coast hit the underside of the bar when a goal seemed likely. Their chances then improved dramatically when Clive Delaney received a second yellow card and a sending off for a further foul. With Uni down to ten, Central Coast sensed victory and Mitchell was the man to do the damage. After first being over with a header, a break by the Coast saw three v two. As Mitchell, Smith and Nathan Byrn attacked a depleted Uni defence, Byrn set up Mitchell perfectly who shot low and hard across Faerber into the bottom corner. Central Coast celebrated like there was no tomorrow, with even Josh Barrett charging upfield in delight. But with twelve minutes remaining, there would still be time for Uni to recover. However, the Coast who have conceded late goals on many occasions this year, made sure that wasn’t going to happen to them again. As the clock ticked down, the Coast ran the ball to the corner flag, clearly happy to waste whatever time they could. The three points were almost theirs and there was no way they were going to be given up this time. In fact, the best chance for a further goal fell to the Coast and frontman Smith, who twisted and turned before hitting the side netting. As the whistle blew, there was a sense of relief for the Coast, with the win lifting them above Fraser Park. “It is certainly a relief” said Peter Preston. “At last I can wake up tomorrow and not be on the bottom of the table”. “In truth, I thought we dominated today. Our shape was good and I thought they found us hard to break down. We also haven’t been able to train all week due to the rain and we have only been able to do gym work. But the boys were freshened up as a result and we were good value for the win”. Central Coast 2 (Brady Smith 21’, Matt Mitchell 78’) v Sydney University 1 (Clive Delaney 48’) 30 May 2010 Seymour Shaw Park, Miranda Referee: Nicholas Tragoutis Assts: Robert Klein and Roger Warry Central Coast: 1. Josh Barrett 3. Jamie Lobb (c) 4. Darren Cooper 5. Nathan Moseley 6. Matt Mitchell 8. Alex Burrell 9. Brady Smith 11. Neil Woodcock (7. Keenan Crum 25’, then replaced by 10. Nathan Byrn 77’) 13. Scott McGinley 14. Patrick Dalton 15. Ben Glachan (2. Paul McGinley 87’). Subs not used: 12. Dale Hall 17. Jake Purches Yellow cards: Nathan Moseley Sydney University: 20. Jonathan Faerber 2. Alexander Bit (12. J O’Rourke) 3. Joseph Savor 4. Simon Turner 5. Paul Medulla 6. Clive Delaney 7. Martin Havern (9. Michael Dowling 73’) 10. Christian Soares 11. Liam Delaney (16. Chris Hayton) 17. C McDonald 21. Daine Merrin. Subs not used: 1. James Lowery Yellow cards: Simon Turner, Clive Delaney, Daine Merrin, C McDonald. Red Card: Clive Delaney Parramatta Eagles v Dulwich Hill Parramatta Eagles continued their good form with another win, this time at the expense of Dulwich Hill. Kutaiba Elrich got the first, taking ultimate advantage of a Dulwich Hill lapse in midfield to put the Eagles one up. Shayne Ardle scored Parramatta’s second just before the break to give the home side a comfortable half time lead. But almost immediately after the restart, Dully reduced the arrears when Michael Lloyd-Green got between two defenders to head home after a good cross from David von Dinklage. But while Dulwich Hill did improve on their first half performance, they were unable to get the better of Parramatta, even with a Norman Tome shot skimming the crossbar. Parramatta, themselves, could have increased their ‘goals for’ tally, with good chances falling to Chris Camilleri, whose shot was well saved by Michael Frost, and Ben Delicata, whose shot was just wide. “We knew Dulwich Hill would be tough” stated Brian Dene, “so we got stuck in from the start and put a lot of pressure on. By putting pressure on the opposition, we force people to turn over the ball”. “Dulwich Hill have been on a bit of a roll so it was important to start well”. Parramatta Eagles now have a five point lead at the turnaround point. “It is a nice place to be,” he continued. “It certainly puts the pressure on the other clubs to try and catch us”. Mark Strachan thought that his side did deserve something from the game. “We did start poorly and gave away a couple of cheap goals. But with a little bit of luck, we could have got something. We finished strongly and for the last 15 minutes we were banging on the door”. “But we can take some heart from this game. Parramatta are the benchmark in the league and I am happy with where we are”. Parramatta Eagles 2 (Kutaiba Elrich 23’, Shayne Ardle 43’) v Dulwich Hill 1 (Michael Lloyd-Green 48’) FC Bossy v Macarthur Rams It was almost a cricket score at Ernie Smith Reserve with the rampaging Macarthur Rams doing the deed over the home side by the tune of 5-2. The Rams were three goals to the good by half time with Sam Messam notching the game’s first after just ten minutes on the clock. Alvaro Malmierca doubled the score twenty four minutes in and then Chris Gomez, just before half time, rubbed salt in Bossy’s wounds. Ten minutes after half time, David Wilson got the first of his double to bring Bossy back into the game somewhat, but any hope of a comeback was totally snuffed out when, in the space of two minutes Alan de la Cuadra and then Messam again, stretched the lead out to 5-1. A second David Wilson goal, in injury time, gave Bossy some respectability but their slide down the table continues. FC Bossy 2 (David Wilson 56’, 92’) v Macarthur Rams 5 (Sam Messam 10’, 88’, Alvaro Malmierca 24’, Chris Gomez 45’, Alan de la Cuadra 87’) Spirit FC v St George The league’s leading scorer, Ben Gough, did the damage at Christie Park to help Spirit to their second win in a row and to bring them well back into the fray after a lean period. St George had dominated the game from the kick off and looked more likely to score with new signing Christian Cevenini, making his return to the Saints after two and half years away at Dandaloo, having a couple of good chances to put the visitors ahead, one of those hitting the bar. But it was Gough, who did extremely well in turning his defenders, who slammed the ball home from close range just a minute before the break. It was Gough’s tenth goal of the season, the first player to hit double figures this year. The goal lifted Spirit for the second half but St George still pressed for the equaliser. But with time running out, Leo Papanicoloau put the game beyond doubt, scoring from a tight angle in the final moments. Spirit FC 2 (Ben Gough 44, Leo Papanicoloau 92’) Northern Tigers v Granville Rage washed out Fraser Park v Mount Druitt washed out -By Peter Rowney
home | info | news | teams | gallery | sponsors | contact
copyright © 2015 st george saints football club
Design and Development by Web Sessions